Most people would be aware of the magnificent pool that is a key feature to the Hayman Island Resort. The pool is equal in size to 7 Olympic sized pools, the largest in the southern hemisphere and forms part of the pool wing where visitors staying in the pool rooms can have direct access to the pool.
The resort has been rebranded as a “One and Only” resort and as a consequence has recently undergone a major renovation and this included the pool.
Fabric Solutions were selected in October 2013 to undertake the complex relining of the pool with a special heavy duty scrim reinforced pool liner.
When we initially looked at the project, we saw many complex hurdles that we needed to overcome to deliver what the resort wanted in the time line required.
- The sheer size of the pool
- The complex shape due to it being integrated with some of the resort accommodation plus a large central island
- The resort is in the Whitsundays which is subtropical and subject to wet weather. Never a good proposition when all of the installation works needed to be done outside, rain and wind can play havoc with installation
- Very tight time line for completion
- Working with and around other trades also involved in the renovation of the resort
Pool Liner Preparation
We engaged Mark Stewart of All Terrain Surveys to go to Hayman Island to do a full survey. This was a little problematic as the pool was full as the resort was still operating at this time (closed 15th January 2014). Under the circumstances All Terrain did an exceptional job and spent around 3 days surveying and then processing the survey data so that we could do the pool liner design.
Once we received the data, we were able to develop the shape for manufacture using our state of the art software.